affiliate links used
Each week the girls over at The Broke and the Bookish think up a fun theme for the week and participating bloggers around the net join in. The theme for this week is
Words/Phrases that turn me off from a book:
1. Autobiographies Just not into them.
2. The Next Twilight! Twilight is a guilty indulgence. I still don’t know why I like it, but I don’t want more of it!
3. Cheating Just no. Yes, I read Dear John like everyone else when the movie came out. As a military spouse I wanted to CHOKE that girl. Ew. No. Cheating is a big no no for me ESPECIALLY when it involves deployments. Just no.
4. Divorce My parents are divorced. I struggle/struggled enough as it is with it, I don’t want more of it. I don’t want to think of it as I’m married and have two kids. Just not my cup of tea.
5. Abuse Be it, verbal, spousal, child, whatever, I don’t want it.
6. Awful looking cover Yes, sometimes I *DO* judge a book by its cover. It happens. If your cover sucks, what does that say about your story? C’mon, authors, you can do better!
7. Lame blurbs If all I see is blah blah falls for blah blah and they blah blah and love, and drama, and blah blah, I’m not gonna touch it. Your blurb has to intrigue me, not turn me off.
8. Religion Yes, I’m a Christian. Yes, I attend church. No, I don’t want to be preached at in my readings. No, I don’t want your beliefs crammed down my throat. Now, if it’s a character’s personal struggle with their religion/belief system, I’ll consider it. I’m getting ready to read The Reluctant Fundamentalist which deals with considering where he stands on his beliefs and such, but that came from a snap decision to try something outside the norm because I heard part of the interview with the author on BBC one day.
9. Fifty Shades Trilogy No. Nope, not even gonna touch that. `Read part of it while it was still fanfic and had to bail on it. Now that it’s published for real, no. I still think of it as Twilight smut.
10. If you loved… you’ll love…/Over-hyped books Don’t tell me I’ll love this book just because I loved another book. Unless it’s by the same author, but even then, don’t assume! You don’t know my life! (: I can’t do the over-hyped books. If I catch it just as the hype is starting and it sounds really interesting, I’ll check it out. If it’s been beaten to death by everyone and their sister, probably not. I’ll wait til the hype dies down or just not read it.
On the flip side. Since I wasn’t doing these when TBTB did Ten Words/Phrases that make me pick up a book
1. J.K. Rowling Let’s face it, I not so secretly worship the ground she walks on. If her name’s attached to it, I’ll read it. I midnight book release partied hard for the last three Harry Potter books. I waited impatiently for her to release her new not Harry Potter book. I devoured The Casual Vacancy when it came out. Now that it’s been leaked that she wrote under a pseudonym, I will be all over that book once I get through the huge stack of library books I already have.
2. Dystopian Yes, I’m on *that* bandwagon, but when amazing books are being cranked out and all happen to be dystopian, it happens!
3. Thomas and Friends or Pete the Cat Seriously, if my son sees it, mama reads it.
4. War of Roses to Tudor England Obsessed. I have been since I was in elementary school.
5. Vampires I will probably at least give it a chance. I did read Twilight.
6. Steampunk Yes, I’m into that right now too.
7. Shadowhunters and Downworlders So sue me. I will read all of the Shadowhunters series Cassie Clare publishes and I am NOT ashamed!
8. Europe Particularly Paris, Scotland, or London. I’ve been to all three locations and would go back in a heartbeat. Until then, I live vicariously through characters who are there.
What are your thoughts? Normally, I would go for recommendations to change my mind, but those are some pretty grievous sins up there. You can try, but if it has cheating in it at all, please, don’t waste our time. I won’t touch it, and you’ll have wasted your time trying to convince me to give it a chance. Feel free to link your TTT, I’d love to compare lists!