Each week, the girls over at The Broke and the Bookish think up a fun theme for the week and participating bloggers around the net join in. The theme for this week is:
Top Ten Secondary Characters
1. Fred and George Weasley from Harry Potter The giggles I had while growing up and reading about their antics were some of the best!
2. Cinna from The Hunger Games I loved EVERYTHING about Cinna. I loved that he didn’t care for the unfairness of the Hunger Games, but was willing to help Katniss in anyway he could.
3. Jasper Whitlock Hale from Twilight I debated if I would use Twilight, but let’s face it – I’m in LOVE with Jasper. My first military love (; He has no real ties to keep him with the Cullens, but his love for Alice is epic.
4. Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter Her fierce loyalty is inspiring. She’s perceived as kinda loony, but she just has a vivid imagination. She has an innocence that a lot of people try to take advantage of, but she’s strong enough to resist.
5. Jacquetta Rivers from The Cousin’s War series. Mother of Elizabeth Woodville, Jacquetta is a very strong willed and protective mother. She’s a secondary character in The White Queen and a background character in The Red Queen. She does have her own book in the series, but I’m going off the two that I’ve finished. When she and Elizabeth’s baby die in each others’ arms, I bawled my eyes out and had to go check on my own sweet babies.
6. Jules from The Revenants series. Yes, he has his own novella, but outside of that he’s a minor MC or a strong secondary character. I love Jules. He’s a great friend and isn’t afraid to sacrifice his happiness for maintaining his friendship.
7. Foaly from Artemis Fowl Foaly always has Holly’s back and even Artemis when the time calls for it. His paranoia of the humans is funny, but his value of friendship is inspiring.
8. Lady Macbeth from Macbeth OUT, OUT DAMNED SPOT! She’s such a perfect secondary villain. LOVE HER!
9. Severus Snape from Harry Potter Consistently a secondary until the end, Snape’s value is underestimated through the whole series. I called that he was the Half-Blood Prince, even if my reason was wrong. (I SWORE he was vampire!) His hidden love for Lily was heartbreaking. The constant reminder of her marriage to James in front of him in the image of Harry must’ve been sheer torture. The Prince’s Tale? Best. Chapter. EVER.
10. Boo Radley from To Kill a Mockingbird He showed us, through Scout’s eyes, that though we may be afraid of something just because of rumours we hear, it’s always best to learn first hand. You could be missing out on something great just because everyone says to avoid it.
I’m sure if I sat and pondered longer, I could come up with a heap more, but these are some of the ones who touched my heart the most. Who are your favourite secondary characters? Are any of mine on your list? Feel free to leave your link! I would love to check out your list!