Since this is my first year blogging, I decided to take part in Jamie’s End of Year Book Survey (all graphics are from her original post! I thought they were awesome and wanted to use them. Thanks, Jaime, for your wonderful creativity!) to see how my first 1/2 year of blogging went as well as my year of reading. I’m excited to look back on 2013. I can’t believe this year is almost over! This time last year I was pregnant and miserable. This year I have two beautiful children running and crawling around the house! (:
1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
Contemporary YA –
I absolutely ADORED Fangirl. It was so close to my freshman year that it was overwhelming. I loved it. Definitely a new favourite!
Historical Fiction –
This is actually an adult series, but I LOVE Philippa Gregory. I loved this entire series (excluding The Red Queen) and can’t wait to see what The Last Rose will bring to the table in 2014!
I loved the ending of this trilogy. I do wish we could see more of after the epilogue! (No spoilers for those who haven’t read it!)
Science Fiction —
I’ve never been a fan of Cinderella, but oh man. Marissa Meyer KILLS it with this retelling! Gimme Cress!
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Sorry, just not that into you. Matched was awesome. Crossed and Reached were found wanting.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
Oh my gosh, guys. This book BLEW MY MIND. I’m not into mermaids. This is not your typical mermaid story. I am SO glad I won this in Amalie’s additional YASH giveaway. PLEASE check this out if you haven’t already!
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
See above. I CANNOT push it enough! It was INCREDIBLE!
READ IT! Erin is AMAZING! #TeamWil
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
“Music overwhelmed me, soaked into my skin like water. I didn’t have words for the squiggles and dashes across the pages, or the way his fingers stretched across the keys to make my heart race. If I could hear only one thing for the rest of my life, this was what I wanted.” – Jodi Meadows, Incarnate
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Incarnate and Infinite have already gotten some cover love, now it’s time for Asunder to shine! I will forever be thankful and grateful for Mary’s recommendation of this FANTASTIC series! Jodi is such a wonderful person and I will promote the heck out of all of her future books because she is a spectacular author! (:
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
I’m going to say fantasy. And I mean this loosely. As in combining supernatural/paranormal with it. I did read a large amount of dystopian this year too. I’ll just go with fiction. Yeah, fiction.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Oh goodness. I’ll just make a list instead of covers! Jace from The Mortal Instruments, Jem from The Infernal Devices, Prince Wil from The Prophecy, Lo from Waterfell, Day from Legend, Jules from Revenants, Dossam (Sam) and Cris from Incarnate/New Soul, Jack and Cole from Everneath, Edward IV and Richard III from Cousins’ War (okay, more so from The White Queen on Starz, but still), Levi from Fangirl, and Linden and Gabriel from Chemical Garden. I read a lot of new series this year, don’t hate!
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
I have loved this series since high school. It was so bittersweet to see it come to an end! I love all of the Jack and Sky action though. Mmmm Jack…. (: I’m totally excited about her new series coming out next year that’s an extension of Blue Bloods
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
OH MAN. The feels. There was one scene that had me blubbering. It was so intense and heart wrenching, I had to go check on my own sweet babies while they were sleeping. Oh… I get chills just thinking about it!
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?
I helped get my lovely Mary’s blog going by spreading the word, but I would have to say The Broke and the Bookish
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?
My review of Waterfell
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
All of the ones I read about book piracy. It’s a very polarising topic.
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
It was a personal event, but definitely getting to meet up and have lunch with the lovely Jodi Meadows. Best day before my birthday EVAAAAAARRRRRR! Second place goes to the signing with Megan Shepherd! Six hours in the car coming back from the beach to make it in time! (:
6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?
See above! (:
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
My Feature and Follow Friday post back in August.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Honestly, all of them! This beginning stuff is hard work!
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
My public library! Well, specifically the Children’s library of our library. The kiddos LOVE it! We try to go at least once a week.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I technically completed my Goodreads challenge, but my own personal challenge I haven’t met. I’m not giving myself too much grief though. I did have a baby and newborns are just a bit of a time suck lol.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
I hope to continue to learn how to balance blogging with being a mama. I love to read and blog, but in all honesty, my kids come first.
Did you read any of the amazing books I read this year? What books do you recommend? 2013 was definitely a great year full of first for me. Tell me about your 2013, I’d love to know! (: